The Sega CD Backup RAM Cart is an enhanced replacement of Sega’s original Backup RAM Cart but with 4x the memory – 8189 blocks.
- 8189 Blocks ( 4 Mbits ) of save memory
- Battery should last approximately 13 years – This is not guaranteed however, other factors such as dirt, humidity, etc… can adversely affect battery life.
- CR2450 Lithium Battery
- Replaceable without soldering
The Sega CD Backup RAM Cart is compatible with all regional variants of the Sega CD / Mega CD Model 1 and 2. The following consoles / console combinations have been confirmed working with the Sega CD Backup RAM Cart:
- Genesis Model 1 + Sega CD Model 1 or Model 2
- Genesis Model 2 + Sega CD Model 1 or Model 2
- Megadrive Model 1 + Mega CD Model 1 or Model 2
- Megadrive Model 2 + Mega CD Model 1 or Model 2
- Sega CDX
- Sega CDX + 32X
- Sega Multimega
- JVC X’eye
Some users have reported incompatibilities with the game Dark Wizard. These have been address with the latest revision of the product ( revision 2.0 and up).
Formatting the Backup RAM Cart
In order to format the Backup RAM Cart, you must load a game into the Sega CD. On the power-up screen, press the C button to access the system menu as seen below. The menu screenshots shown to the right are representative of the North American Model 2 Sega CD. On a Model 1 Sega CD select “OPTION” instead of “MEMORY”. Note that the “MEMORY” option will not be available if no game is loaded into the Sega CD. Follow the on-screen instructions to format the Backup RAM Cart. From here, you may also copy save files to and from the Backup RAM Cart.
Transferring Save Data
Replacing the Battery